Author Topic: Mechanix Wear Original (Coyote Brown) Review  (Read 6825 times)

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz
Mechanix Wear Original (Coyote Brown) Review
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:08 pm »
Sales Blurb
From mechanix.com

All New for 2009! Designed and manufactured to take on the toughest tasks you can throw at it, our Original Glove provides a winning combination of versatility and performance. The Clarino Synthetic Leather palm and fingertips extends the life of the glove while the Thermal Plastic Rubber hook and loop cuff closure and two-way stretch Spandex top provides a perfect fit.

Supplier
I purchased these gloves from amazon.com (link to product page for large version.)

They cost $17.80 USD, which appears to be Amazon’s standard cost for all Mechanix Original Gloves (plus or minus a few cents). Shipping costs are about standard compared with other American sites… expensive, but the economy option did arrive ten days after the order was placed.

Historically Amazon would not ship these gloves internationally as they were categories on the site under clothing and theoretically should incur duty charges. They have recently been re-categorised into Tools & Home Improvement and can be shipped to New Zealand without issue.

Packaging
Nothing more than you would expect here. The gloves themselves were cable-tied to a piece of card which could be used to hang them in a shop and which showed the brand, colour and size.

If ordering from Amazon the gloves will be inside a “Ready-to-Ship” plastic bag, which will in turn be packed into whatever shipping packaging they use for your order. In my case this was a bubble wrap lined, yellow courier bag with the Amazon logo on the back.

Initial Impressions and Observations
Having already owned a pair of Mechanix Wear Originals, and been very happy with them, I am even more impressed with my latest purchase.

Being a pair of 2009 tactical line, the gloves look as if they won’t suffer from some of the issues I had with my previous gloves. The major issue for me in the past was the stitching between the thumb and trigger finger splitting. This area looks to be sturdier in this iteration of the glove.

When the correct size is worn – it pay to consult Mechanix’s sizing chart – the glove fits snug  and doesn’t dramatically reduce dexterity or the ability to manipulate your weapon. It can take a tug or two to remove the glove.

The fabric on the top and thumb are breathable so your hands shouldn’t overheat in the summer, just don’t expect them to save you from frost bite if you decide to burry your hand in snow.

The glove secures with Velcro on the underside of the wrist with an easy to grip rubber pad, which is easier to grab that the fabric tab of the previous Mechanix Originals.

Skirmish Use
Since receiving these gloves I have gamed with them twice. They are comfortable and don’t impede weapon manipulation. They also breathe well, even in hot weather my hands did not get too hot and didn’t sweat.

The gloves held up to rubbing against a bare lower rail for the length of both game days and came away with no split seams, or even a frayed stich.

The only issue I have had is that even though the glove itself is a good fit for my hand the Velcro cuff can be a bit on the tight side, but this is only a minor complaint.

Double Rainbow… All The Way…
If coyote brown isn’t your thing these gloves come in a number of colours. The tactical range includes Stealth (black) and Woodland. You can also get Mechanix wear originals in the traditional black with white writing or even pink camo if that’s what does it for you.

Conclusion
Overall, I am very happy with the purchase of these gloves and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a new pair to add to their kit. I would suggest buying them from a reputable supplier, even if they cost a little extra then what you will pay for them on TradeMe, as they will last longer and you will have some guarantee that they are the genuine article.

I love them... go buy some.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:52:37 am by forumadmin »
"This thread has just stuck its head up its own arse and is back where it started.."

Offline Eightball

• AHB Associate
Re: Mechanix Wear Original (Coyote Brown) Review
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »
I'm tempted, definitely. My Nomex flight gloves have served me well for over a year... but are starting to show some wear...
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over." - General William T. Sherman

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:08:15 pm »
I defiantly recommend buying from Amazon over say... trademe.

The ones on TM are either the old version or, well... fake lol.
"This thread has just stuck its head up its own arse and is back where it started.."

Offline forumadmin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:55:05 am »
+++FORUM ADMIN EDIT: Original post edited as per request by the author.