Author Topic: Cyma AKM (CM-048M) Review  (Read 12099 times)

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
Cyma AKM (CM-048M) Review
« on: November 04, 2010, 09:52:10 pm »
Here is a quick review and picks of my new Opfor toy!!!

Brief history

The AKM (Russian: Автомат Калашникова Модернизированный; Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovanniy or "automatic rifle Kalashnikov modernized") is a 7.62mm assault rifle designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov. It is an upgraded version of the AK-47 rifle and was developed in the 1950s.

Introduced into service with the Red Army in 1959, the AKM is the most ubiquitous variant of the entire AK series of firearms and it has found widespread use with most member states of the former Warsaw Pact and its many African and Asian allies. The production of these Soviet rifles was carried out at both the Tula Arsenal and Izhevsk Mechanical Works. It was officially replaced in Soviet service by the AK-74 in the late 70s, but remains in use worldwide.

Now a brief review of the Cyma AKM

Ordered through Ehobby Asia on the 22/10/10 and received of the 1/11/10

The Cyma AKM comes with a 8.4v crappy battery and a trickle charger, front sight adjustment too and a cleaning rod.
The packaging around the gun was pretty good it sat in a styrofoam form fitted shell wrapped in bubble wrap inside it's box.

First impressions of the gun were of how well built it seemed to be and how light it was compared to my M14 (later to be informed by R3CON that it was heavy!!)
The wood stock and hand guard feel and look great no wobbles at all. The pistol grip is plastic and grippy has a small amount of twist in it but is nothing to stress about.
The metal receiver is a VFC style and is quite thick with no flex in it at all!!

The all metal high cap (600 round) mag was also of a good quality feels solid and feeds well.
I also purchased a 1000 round DBoys high cap mag to go with it which is plastic but feels like quite a good quality plastic and also feeds flawlessly.

So I then removed the end cap on the stock to access the battery compartment by removing the two screws that hold it on to change the connector to an XT60 style and while doing so found that the fuse was shattered in the fuse case  :(
No bother I bypassed this and got the beast ready for it's first shoot and chrono test here are the results.

10 Shots with 0.20g BB's

Average 421.6 FPS.

Like all Chinese made SEG's this is shooting very hot but I am happy with it and at this stage I am not planning on downgrading it.

The full metal hop up is of the standard AK style and moves with enough friction to give confidence that it won't move during combat.

On the left hand side of the receiver there is a mount where you can attach AK style scope mounts to give it the COD look but for me leaving it stock seems the way an insurgent would have it so that's the way it will stay.

My only gripe so far (as I have yet to field test it) it the rear adjustable sight is very loose even after some shimming the leaf spring that is meant to apply pressure to is doesn't seem to do so enough. By no means a biggie and for $155 US you can't expect perfection!!

I will be able to update more after the next game but until then enjoy!!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:04:37 pm by Eightball »
Snipers are a force multiplier!!!

Offline Eightball

• AHB Associate
Re: Cyma AKM (CM-048M)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:14:37 am »
Nice review, can't wait till you've updated it after a skirm.
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over." - General William T. Sherman

Offline Cribbs

• FNG!
Re: Cyma AKM (CM-048M) Review
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:13:42 pm »
I was looking at importing one of these but I heard that u only hav a 50% chance that u wont get a dud and that there is no warantee

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:17:14 pm »
Cyma is a good brand but with all chinese made guns they are a bit hit and miss. From the last 3 that have come into our club all seem pretty good.
Snipers are a force multiplier!!!

Offline torak

• AHB Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:43:33 am »
Hey mate, sorry to post in an old topic, but I just wanted to ask; how do you get on with ordering guns from the US? Do you have to customise them when they arrive so as to make them semi automatic only? Or can you specifically order a semi model? Do you have any problems with customs etc?
The AHB Motto: WAFFLE-O
"We're all friends, friends love each other"

Offline Eightball

• AHB Associate
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:50:51 am »
ASNZ Affiliated clubs use an armourer system to assist with the importation of Airsoft Guns. The process involved means that we have a selection of international providers that will semi-modify an Airsoft gun to comply with New Zealand law, and in most cases we can get a discount. Some guns however cannot be semi-ed.

You could also purchase one from a New Zealand supplier like:

http://www.asgc.co.nz

Their guns are already new-zealand legal.

If an airsoft gun arrives, is inspected by customs, and found to fire full-auto... it will be destroyed.
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over." - General William T. Sherman