Author Topic: G&P M14 DMR Review  (Read 16167 times)

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
G&P M14 DMR Review
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:00:37 am »
Well here is the start of my review of the afore mentioned rifle

A brief history from Wikipedia

The United States Marine Corps Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR, NSN 1005-01-458-6235; more formally the United States Rifle, 7.62 mm, M14, DMR) is a semi-automatic, gas-operated rifle chambered for the 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge. It is a modified version of the M14 rifle built and utilized by the United States Marine Corps (USMC).

The DMR is issued with match-grade M118LR 175-grain Long Range ammunition.[3] The "basic" DMR (i.e., without secondary sight, magazine, sling, basic issue items, cleaning gear, suppressor and bipod) weighs 11 pounds (5.0 kg) or less. The DMR design facilitates repairing or replacing of the sight mount, barrel, bolt, and other key assemblies at the third echelon maintenance level. The USMC Precision Weapons Shop at Quantico, Virginia builds all DMRs.

The Marine Corps is replacing the DMR with the M39 Enhanced Marksman Rifle on a one-for-one basis.

Now on to the G&P review.

Recieved on the 6th of August after a long order time (due to being out of stock at WGC).

Packing was good with the two parts of the rifle well bubble wrapped (gun split into two parts due to its length). The gun comes with 1 full metal 160 round mag and a M3 scope. Unfortunatly G&P were out of stock of the scope when I purchased it so I recieved a G&P 552 holo scope (which I am planning on selling)

First impressions of the rifle was woah this is heavy and this is without the scope and bipod.
The rifle is very well balanced around the mag well.

The body is very sturdy made out of an OD green plastic with a full metal upper reciever and working bolt and bolt catch. The bold does nothing except make a very sexy M14 racking sound!! The upper reciever has a rail that covers almost the whole length of the rifle from just infront of the ejection port to the front of the lower reciever which makes it possiable to add quite a few different scopes to it, also there are two shorter rails on the left and right hand sides for other attachments. There also is a small single space rail behing the ejection port so scopes can be mounted far enough back to allow good eye relief. The iron sights seem very accurate and the rear sight is adjustable for windage (left and right) and elevation (up and down) like the real steel.

I am very impressed with the trades on the gun. Has the Knights Armament address and phone number on the right hand side of the upper reciever and also the Springfield Armoury trades on the rear of the upper reciever behind the rear sight.

The hop up is located under the rifle at the front of the mag well and is accessiable with the mag in or out. Battery is placed in the stock after removing 2 screws that hold on the adjustable stock pieces. Pleanty of room in there for quite a large battery I am using a 7.2v Lipo which fits with ease, the rifle comes pre deansed from the factory but I will be changing the connector to an XT60 to match my Lipos.

Chronoed at 386fps on .2's and had no feeding issues from the G&P mag or the Star 20 round mags that arrived yesterday.
Mags fit tightly into the mag well and there is very little to no play at all with them.  

I was surprised by how quiet the gun is, unlike my ICS M4 and M16A3 which have an obvious motor whine this gun have very little sound from the motor or piston, sounds almost suppressed but without a silencer (which for a sniper is good). From the small shooting test I have done in my garage which gives me about 10-15 meters length, groupings are very tight but once I get her outside with some heaver BB's I will have a better idea of just how accurate she is.

Dissassembly is very easy. Just pull down on the trigger guard which hinges and then comes out with the mag release attached and the top reciever is released from the body and that is it. From there I have not taken apart anything else and more than likley won't until I start the upgrade process.

My only gripe so far is that the bolt catch is not holding back the bolt reliably no biggie as is only cosmetic, but still looks like an easy fix.

Am looking forward to gaming her soon and will have a scope and bipod in the very near future also to comlete the look.

Photos comimg up soon.

So my scope arrived today from a Trade Me Auction. It is a 3-9 by 40 scope with illuminated reticle both red and green. Very impressed looks great on the DMR and after I get to take her out of the garage to give it a real range test I will be able to zero it in too. Here are some teaser photos of my nearly complete DMR (just the bipod to go).

Scope on gun.

Red view down scope.

Green (shakey) view down scope.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:05:11 pm by Eightball »
Snipers are a force multiplier!!!

Offline Eightball

• AHB Associate
Re: G&P M14 DMR
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:22:33 pm »
I can't wait to read the full review
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over." - General William T. Sherman

Offline R3CON

• AHB Associate
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:59:51 pm »
man i love this already.....have to do mine
bullets, bodies and bull[sand]

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:05:12 pm »
Some pics updated

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:05:22 am »
Scope arrived this morning 3-9 by 40 red/green illuminated reticle. Will add some pictures tonight.

Jared1234

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:19:25 am »
if i new u were after a scope i wood of sold u a decent 3-9x40 for cheep as lol

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:38:23 pm »
I would have if I had known you don't have a bipod floating round do you??

Jared1234

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 07:10:42 pm »
i got a bipod, but i need that for my rifle wen i try do some long range hunting haha. they pritty cheep these days tho

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:44:53 pm »
Pics of scope up.

Offline Jaybee

• AHB Member
    • Airsoft Hawke's Bay
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 01:36:57 pm »
Looking good bro! can't wait to see it in-game ;D
"You know today is Thursday, right?" - Torak

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 02:58:10 pm »
Have just completed phase one of the internal upgrade process. Have installed a Guarder SP140 spring and a Prometheus sealing nozzle to the gear box. Initial fps is now 450 on 0.2g bb's so will now be really be able to reach out and touch someone!! Will report back after some range tests.

Offline Eightball

• AHB Associate
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »
Good stuff... You running the 11.1 Lipo? How do you think the gear box is gonna hold up under a 140?
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over." - General William T. Sherman

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »
Using the 7.1 lipo on the tests. Gearbox is super solid with half metal teeth on the piston. I sure it will hold up fine as I am not spamming hard out with it. Wouldn't recommend going any higher than this on a SEG though.