Author Topic: Short Review: Deepfire H-Hops  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Jaybee

• AHB Member
    • Airsoft Hawke's Bay
Short Review: Deepfire H-Hops
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:24:55 pm »
This is my short review on h-hop nubs, in this case the brand Deepfire I scored off ASNZ for 6 bux.
There are various ones about, ranging in quality which as I read equates to how symmetrical/centre the H is.
There are a few about, Deepfire is on ehobby or HERE, prior to picking these up I was looking into the element brand HERE

I already have a tightbore inner barrel in my ICS which made a huge difference, so if this can improve more then that's choice.

How it works
The even pressure of the nib in the hop-up unit helps to keep the bb's backspin as vertical as possible.
Keeping the backspin as vertical as possible means less deviation to spin right or left, like a spin bowler in cricket.
Cheers Windos for the picture:

First, stock nub test
Chrono results:
335,340,339,340 fps

I setup a short range(below) and a couple of shots in the orchard for distance.

The stock nub has been pretty good in close anyway but over 30m it tends to deviate a bit to the right.

H-Hop Installation
Installing depends on how easy it is access your inner barrel + hop-up unit.
My ICS split gearbox takes me about 15 seconds to have my inner barrel out, then another minute to dismantle my hop-up.

Replace your stock nub (purple thing pictured below) with the h-hop, reassemble and you're good to go.

H-Hop test
Chrono results:
342, 343, 341 , 342

After a bit of fiddling about adjusting the hop, I instantly noticed a difference. Each shot appeared to be dead straight.
The target tests (below) showed how the grouping tightened up, I could have kept hitting the black if I wanted to!
The long orchard shots seemed to be fairly straight, hitting the same bit of tree repeatedly was easy.

Conclusion
From my short tests the difference was quite amazing, for the small price the improvement is quite substantial.

After a couple of games I must say my M4 is pretty bloody accurate.
Even though I tend to double tap when shooting, my first shots were hitting the mark.
I had a moment last game where 3 quick fire shots hit 3 different people at about 30m or so which was quite fun.

The only issue I have found is that you have to fiddle a bit adjusting the hop-up to find that sweet spot, I now have it right and there is little or no deviation now.
This does seem to be related to how the h-hop ends up sitting in my hop-up against the bucking.
As it stands I will be sticking with the current setup and stick with the h-hop.

JB- OUT
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:20:29 am by R3CON »
"You know today is Thursday, right?" - Torak

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz
Re: Short Review: Deepfire H-Hops
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 09:21:51 pm »
What I find interesting is that, if you ignore the flyers/misses, the radius of all the shots is about the same (measured using an un-scientific pinched fingers up to the computer screen method :P) but the group as a whole is a lot more centered, which is obviously a really good thing.

It's be interesting to see what the difference is at 25-30 meters.
"This thread has just stuck its head up its own arse and is back where it started.."

Offline BJ

• AHB Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 09:47:29 pm »
interesting it fixed the deviation.  mine also goes to the right over a longer distance. the h nub may be the way to go.
"The AK-47. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every bastard in the room, accept no substitutes "

Offline Eightball

• AHB Associate
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:53:07 pm »
The other thing to consider, is that you've realigned your entire hop unit when you stripped it down...
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over." - General William T. Sherman

Offline Jaybee

• AHB Member
    • Airsoft Hawke's Bay
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

UPDATE:
After a fair bit of use with the h-hop, I am now not as convinced they make a dramatic difference (in my ICS anyway)
-I've had to replace my bucking which split coincidentally after installing h-hop.
-They made my hop-up EXTREMELY fiddly, i.e. one click bb's falling to ground, next click they're in the sky.
Right now I'm running my old nib on new bucking and seems to hit on target ok.
I think the cheap branded h-hops may be too cheap (go figure) and may not be symmetrical enough or possibly TOO restricting?
So I don't know, I'd like to see one in a different manufacturer's hop-up, say a CYMA, G&G or VFC and  try it out.
Or maybe a different brand h-hop in my ICS.

JB-out

Offline torak

• AHB Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:59:12 am »
I've just put tight bores and H-Nubs in my guns, Jimbo's guns and Viper and Stitch's guns, it's hard to say weather the H-Nub made much of a difference, all I know is that with both tight bore and H-Nub they are definitely more accurate...
The AHB Motto: WAFFLE-O
"We're all friends, friends love each other"

Offline Jaybee

• AHB Member
    • Airsoft Hawke's Bay
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:02:10 am »
Yep tight bores should def make a difference, which h-nubs did you use?

Offline torak

• AHB Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:19:22 am »
Element Hop Up Cusion H-Hop. $3.00 for two on ehobby.

I found that they were a little wider than the original nubs, so they had to be filed a fraction of a millimetre on either side.
The AHB Motto: WAFFLE-O
"We're all friends, friends love each other"