Author Topic: KJW 1911A1 full metal.  (Read 15492 times)

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
KJW 1911A1 full metal.
« on: November 25, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »
Well there has been a request for a review of my latest sidearm so here is a quick fire one for you all.

Do we really need a real steel back ground of this firearm? ???

No?

Cool

Picked up my gun from Ehobby Asia about a month or so ago.

Gun is a matte black colour with brown plastic grips (kind of a faux wood colour)
Has a single slide safety and the hand grip safety (beaver tail safety) has the classic hammer and not the ring type that the MEU or other more modern 1911's have.

Comes with one single stack size mag which can hold about 25 BB's (but only enough gas to fire about 15)
Gun is also CO2 ready so I can get some CO2 mags for winter if I want but probably wont.

CO2 nozzle

Mag well with space for the CO2 cylinder to fit in.

Gun has zero markings apart from the KJW trades on the left side and a .45 ACP stamp on the metal outer barrel.

Gun has a fantastic weight to it and fits nicely into either hand (primarily this will be my left hand secondary)
Gun also functions exceptionally well has a very crisp blow back and locks back reliably once mag is empty of BB's

The weight of the slide is very nice and is well made. I have owned a WE full metal hicapa and also was able to check out a WE 1911A1 and the KJW seems to eat these for breakfast in terms of build quality and reliably.

Stock this gun is pretty accurate but I will be putting a Tight Bore inner barrel in it at some stage for more accurate groupings.

I was able to use this in a quick fire pistol match down in Wellington with my KJW P226 (Akimbo style) and was happy how fast I was able to fire it, the trigger response was nice and light and emptied a mag in a very short burst of suppressive fire (don't think I hit anyone)

Pro's
Full Metal
Nice fit and finish
CO2 ready
Great weight
Clone of the T.M. so heaps of parts out there for those of us who like to tinker with their guns.

Con's
Heavy (if you are a little girl with girly arms)
Will only get about 15 rounds per gas charge
Lack of trades (if you care about that kind of thing)
Fires if you just cock the hammer back without racking the slide.
Plastic grips feel kind of cheap.

Overall I like her, it's classic and reliable and she is a 1911 which is just sexy!! I would recommend one of these to the budget conscious airsofter as for around $85us you can own one.

Enjoy
Snipers are a force multiplier!!!

Offline Jaybee

• AHB Member
    • Airsoft Hawke's Bay
Re: KJW 1911A1 full metal.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 02:25:32 pm »
I am so there, thanks heaps for putting that up Porky :D
"You know today is Thursday, right?" - Torak

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 02:32:23 pm »
This is the pistol nerd in me... that isn't a Beavertail :P

Closest to "proper" name I can find for that sort of grip safety is "GI-Style."

Main difference is the Beavertail has that huge bit of metal that goes over the web of skin between your thumb and index finger, which helps to prevent hammer bite.
"This thread has just stuck its head up its own arse and is back where it started.."

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:33:08 pm »
Oh, I should mention you have almost convinced me to get one. (maybe with OD frame)

I like the no markings thing as I want to get custom ones done lol.
"This thread has just stuck its head up its own arse and is back where it started.."

Offline Jaybee

• AHB Member
    • Airsoft Hawke's Bay
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:39:10 pm »
NERD! hahaha

Yeah I saw the OD frame ones too but nah, my plan is to get those wood grips on then internals down the track.
It was so much fun to fire down at the CTA CQB.. but yeah i didn't hit much :-[
"You know today is Thursday, right?" - Torak

Offline BJ

• AHB Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 03:47:35 pm »
Cost of running the gun? CO2.  Ease of getting CO2.

Starting from scratch what would the total cost be from purchase to shooting Charlie.... I mean the enemy!

Also quite keen.
"The AK-47. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every bastard in the room, accept no substitutes "

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »
@BJ, even though it's CO2 ready I would suggest sticking to Propane (especially during summer.)

Cost of getting setup:

Propane adapter: $40-$45
First can of propane: $11-$15 (Note, I'm sure you could bludge of someone for the first few weeks, and pick these up later :P)

Grand total for the pistol, with one included magazine (I think), including discount (talk to/order through Porky) is
USD 107.11, today this converts to $144.38 NZD

Extra KJ Works mags are $22 USD + Postage. Or you should be able to use TM mages which, last I looked, you can pick up from ASGC for $45.

On going costs is just the propane @ $11-$15 a bottle which lasts me a few games even with people borrowing it :P

Offline BJ

• AHB Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 04:42:54 pm »
Oh pistol guru have you got any links to check out?
"The AK-47. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every bastard in the room, accept no substitutes "

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz

Offline Cribbs

• FNG!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:33:51 pm »
Dads got a WE m1911 which looks identical apart form its totally clean of any trades at all apart from a .45 acp marking on the outer part of the barrel.
And it also has a silver inner barrel, but he payed $179 O_O
oh well... either way nice gun :D

Offline Rabbit

• AHB Probationary Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 09:44:50 am »
do u reccomend my dad getting this gun for me to use

Offline Rabbit

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 09:46:07 am »
but the one im looking at is WE

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 09:51:56 am »
@Rabbit

[In regards to WE]
I have owned one and I purchased mine 2nd hand for $100 and it was [sand]!!! WE make some nice looking gear but from my personal experiences I wouldn't buy WE again. I can get a KJW from overseas for you for a similar price to that new and they are better quality than WE I own 2 KJW pistols and both are solid as!! If you can afford it though get a TM!

Offline Rabbit

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 10:48:19 am »
or do u reccomend a glock 17

Offline R3CON

• AHB Associate
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:57:18 am »
He recommends (along with just about anyone) not to get any WE pistol as they are [sand] mate.  :)
bullets, bodies and bull[sand]