Author Topic: KAC PDW  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
KAC PDW
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
So I have just received my A.E.G brand KAC PDW. Here's a quick first thoughts review.

First the real steel back ground (from Wiki)

The Knight's Armament Company 6x35mm PDW is an experimental personal defense weapon designed by KAC, firing a new 6mm cartridge optimized for short barrel weapons. As with all personal defense weapons, the KAC PDW is intended to be compact and lightweight (similar to submachine guns), but have a longer useful range (out to the low end of combat rifle ranges, 250–300 m). A PDW would be issued primarily to troops who are not offensive combat infantry, but who might need a highly capable defensive weapon if they were attacked, such as truck drivers, artillery troops, tank crews, aircraft crews, and other support troops. The KAC PDW is over 10 inches shorter (19.5" vs. 29.8" with stocks folded) and more than 1 pound lighter (4.5 lb vs. 5.9 lb) than the currently serviced M4 carbine, a U.S. Army and Marine weapon.

Now the Airsoft version.
The gun came in a box!!!

Well packed with the [sand]ty white Styrofoam packing but was formed to shape and held the gun well (just a pain to remove all the excess Styrofoam from it)

Included was:
The gun????
A cheap plastic PEQ/Battery box
A 120 round PDW style mag
A nunchuck style 1100mah 8.4v nims battery
and a crappy charger and cleaning rod.

The manual that was included looked like a photo copy of the VFC manual with an A.E.G front cover.
Wasnt bad engrish in it but I dont really read the manuals too much.

So there she is with the stock slightly folded to hold her up.

All in all for a Chinese made aeg the fit and finish is pretty good (although I did find a couple of screws loose in the box one from the PEQ box and one from the stock)

Nice trades on it painted on not etched or laser-ed in but for $143us who's complaining

Out of the box it is shooting a pretty consistent 320fps on 0.25g bb's so I am very happy as it is shooting just where I want it to shoot.

The balance of the gun is very much to the front of the weapon due to not having a full or sliding stock and also due to the PEQ/Battery box being up the front also. I have also added an Ultrafire torch to the front right hand side of the gun for night operations.

I have a T1 red/green dot scope added also and I also got a Big Dragon tracer unit/silencer for it too (review to follow)

The pistol grip is a shorter style than the M4/M16 variants and also this gun uses a shorter type motor so if in the future I want to get a new grip I will need to replace the motor too.

The folding stock of the gun is pretty cool but does have a wobble not from the latch but from the two bars that form the stock (just the way it has been designed and made) the stock snaps nicely into the folded position and is held there with a pin and latch style setup and it works very well.

This gun also features a functioning bolt catch and release which is just cool and due to the bolt design and the way this gun works it has a pretty cool sound too.

Full ambidextrous mag release and selector switches also for those lefties out there.

The mag that it comes with is a PDW style mag and apart from looking funky its not very well constructed and I personally wont be using it once I have purchased some Magpul short type M4 mags (one bonus of this airsoft gun is that it is compatible with normal M4 mags)

That's enough for now will update some more once I have shot some of you with it!!!
Snipers are a force multiplier!!!

Offline Windos

• FNG!
    • king.geek.nz
Re: KAC PDW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »
The T1 suites it man, nice buy all round.
"This thread has just stuck its head up its own arse and is back where it started.."

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:14 am »
Update on review.

New Green Label Short P-Mags arrived today 20 rounds in real world 50 rounds in the airsoft world. These are made by Star as an OEM manufacturer they are a shiny plastic compared to the 120 P-Mag that I have here of Euthinasia's, unlike the Magpul P-Mag the bottom plate doesn't have a button to depress on the base to remove the base plate but is held tightly on there. I have ordered some Green Label Ranger Plates to attach to the bottom of the mags to make grabbing them out of their pouches easier and they should arrive early next week (photos to come)

I ordered them from E-Hobby on the 29th of June and they arrived on Saturday 2nd July. Man that was a fast turn around as far as I am concerned.

Side by side

Here is the standard P-Mag in the PDW with Silencer attached.

Here is the the "20 round" P-Mag with normal flash hider attached.

Followed by.......

"One of these things just doesn't belong here"
"One of these things just isn't the same"
"One of these things just doesn't belong here"
"Now it's time to play our game"

Offline R3CON

• AHB Associate
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:41:50 pm »
Original Mag!!!!! - what do I win?
bullets, bodies and bull[sand]

Offline Porky

• AHB Associate
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 12:43:06 pm »
Not being shot by me at the first game!!!!!